So earlier this month, I had the pleasure of reading “The Boy Who Harnessed The Wind’, only to be moved by the content (I know, I know, I am late to the table, I mean where was I all this time).
The book entails a story of ingenuity and a pure determined heart of a young man willing and daring to fulfill his vision.
Surviving poor upbringings in a village in Malawi, which denied him early chances at education, William Kamkwamba, only wanted to build a windmill, because he believed it would give his family access to electricity and irrigation throughout the year. Only for this vision, to perpetuate his journey across the world, speaking in various prestigious experiences to graduating from elite schools.
Above: William on the windmill that he built (Source: His Book/Online Google Image)
It gets even better, 10 year after releasing the book, Netflix partnered with him and Chiwetel Ejiofor to release the movie based on his story. So if one cannot have the patience to read, at least one can watch and admire a true tale of humble beginnings.
I believe it’s a story everyone should read. At least every kid, as it embeds in a child the spirit of not giving up, it teaches them how important it is to believe in yourself and uphold the vision despite the challenges encountered. In true sense and if anything, it shows them how to become better human beings who live a life filled with purpose. And one ting is for sure, it reminds all of us, that wherever you are coming from, your dreams are valid.
So here are the 10 lessons I learnt from the book and newly released Netflix Movie;
- God always has a plan, he might take you through a lot of corners but his plan will always manifest in your life. Just believe in him and the vision. Your time will come, no one can stop the breakthrough. God will remove every obstacle. HE will make a way.
- Remain patient throughout the process
- It is important to have people who will support your vision to life. As for William, it was his friend, Gilbert & his Father towards the end.
- When people don’t understand, don’t give up and give in to the pressure. One day, you will find a place, you will fit in. Things will eventually come full circle and you will understand why.
- Always Pray to be at the right place and the right time.
- All it takes is to TRY. In his own words “ I tried and I made it”
- Oh, The things which will be made possible when your DREAMS are powered by your HEART??? Pour your HEART & PASSION in realizing your dreams.
- Eventually, you will finally realize the true size of the world, and understand how little access you have to it. If you work hard enough, you will increase your market share.
- A Man’s true character is defined during difficult times. That is when the world forces to unveil what you are truly made of.
- He only wanted to power his village and prevent another famine. But oh, look at how that daring initiative has brought him thus far.